Alliance member company, Calista Corporation and its subsidary Brice Marine are featured in the below press release from the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development.
Alaska Celebrates National Apprenticeship Week
Employers Engaged in Major Expansion of Apprenticeship with State, Federal Support
JUNEAU, Alaska— Governor Bill Walker has proclaimed November 14-20 as Alaska Apprenticeship Week, concurrent with National Apprenticeship Week. The Governor’s proclamation comes amidst major expansions of Alaska apprenticeships by employers in the health care, maritime, and aviation industries. In addition, the state has taken comprehensive policy steps to support Alaska’s longstanding and successful construction apprenticeship programs.
“Apprenticeship is a cornerstone of Alaska’s strong middle class, and a key reason that we have some of the highest median wages in the country,” said Labor Commissioner Heidi Drygas.
Expansion of Apprenticeship in Alaska:
- The Alaska Primary Care Association is starting Community Health Worker, Medical Biller/Coder, Medical Administrative Assistant, and Clinical Medical Assistant apprenticeships.
- The Alaska Air Carriers Association is developing Commercial Pilot, Airframe and Power Plant Mechanic, and Aircraft Dispatcher apprenticeships.
- Calista Corporation has started a multi-employer maritime apprenticeship program for Deckhand, Able Bodied Seaman, and other maritime occupations in partnership with Brice Marine and other employers.
- Southeast Alaska Regional Health Consortium enrolled eight apprentices in its new Medical Assistant apprenticeship.
- Fourteen chiropractic clinics are signing up apprentices in the Alaska Chiropractic Association’s new Chiropractic Assistant apprenticeship.
The Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development will hold its annual Registered Apprenticeship Roundtable on December 6-7 in Chugiak. Interested parties may get additional information or RSVP by emailing Commissioner.Labor@alaska.gov.
View the original press release at http://labor.alaska.gov/news/2016/news16-40.pdf